SOCIAL MEDIA

Sunday, December 17, 2017

Book Review :: The Chalk Man by C.J.Tudor


The synopsis....

In 1986, Eddie and his friends are just kids on the verge of adolescence. They spend their days biking around their sleepy English village and looking for any taste of excitement they can get. The chalk men are their secret code: little chalk stick figures they leave for one another as messages only they can understand. But then a mysterious chalk man leads them right to a dismembered body, and nothing is ever the same.

In 2016, Eddie is fully grown, and thinks he's put his past behind him. But then he gets a letter in the mail, containing a single chalk stick figure. When it turns out that his friends got the same message, they think it could be a prank . . . until one of them turns up dead.

That's when Eddie realizes that saving himself means finally figuring out what really happened all those years ago.


The review....

I have mixed feelings about this book. When I first read about it I was extremely excited about it. However when I began to read it I found it hard to really get into. The writing was excellent and the story was interesting, so I can't quite say why I wasn't 'wowed' with it.

I guess maybe I was a little let down. In my opinion the chalk figures didn't seem to have as big a role as I would have liked. They were there, don't get me wrong, but they weren't as present as I had hoped and they certainly weren't as important as I thought. Plus at times it felt very slow and I wondered when the next thing that would actually matter would occur. Maybe it was because I felt the main character did a bit to much pondering and monologue-ing to the reader than need be.

I also didn't get very attached to any of the characters, which is what really draws me into a book. The character of Nicky felt more like a plot devise than anyone I would actually want to learn more about and the others didn't have much special about them either.

I will say that I was kept guessing and there were many plot twists that I wasn't expecting. Overall I would recommend this book to anyone who wanted to read a murder mystery with a little creepiness. I give this book 3 out of 5 stars.

Post a Comment